Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pre-Meal Jitters!

Finding an “authentic” or “ethnic” restaurant proved highly difficult in Jackson, as I’d imagined it would. That is the price I payed for being home for the weekend though. After tirelessly searching www.urbanspoon.com, I thought to check the Citizen Patriot for Jackson restaurant reviews. I found just one result, that could hardly have counted as a review, but rather an announcement for a newly opened restaurant. This newly opened place just happened to be “authentic” Tex- Mex and Mexican cuisine.

I have tried Mexican food before, but I’m not so sure that it has been “authentic.” After seeing this newly opened restaurant, I figured I could give it a try. Part of their menu features “traditional Mexican plates,” none of which I have heard of before. I took this as a good sign. It being new combined with the unknown dishes seemed to fit the descriptions of the assignment.

I am rather nervous about the assignment though. Like we talked about in class, I am unsure that I have the authority to try a new food and either “love” or “bash” it. I feel that because I do not have a strong background in Mexican food, I have no room to judge it. I am worried that I will have trouble going out of my comfort zone when using my own money. I will have to fight the urge not to go with the universally safe taco or fajita. 

While the Cit Pat doesn’t seem to have restaurant reviews, I think it would be fun to write toward a Jackson audience. I’m sure that I will have to tone down my cruelty toward my hometown in writing to it’s people, but I believe I could also rather easily write in a relatable way. I am from here, for goodness sakes! 

Due to the area in which I believe the restaurant is in, I’m going to take a guess that it will not be all that busy. I don’t know that many Jacksonians travel down the road it is on looking for a meal. Maybe some “locals” will have heard about it though. It’s funny to think of such a small place having “local” spots, but we most certainly do. I am hopeful though that due to the newness of the place, that the owner will be there and will be happy to talk to me about his new project. 

My last concern is that I am going with Trevor. I am in need of new foods, while I’m almost certain he will opt for something easy. This is going to be infuriating when I’m deciding on what plate to make or break my experience. This assignment is bringing up some nerve-racking obstacles for me and it’s barely begun!

After searching for over an hour for something that didn’t resemble a dark seedy bar or a restaurant found on any exit across America, I hope that I will have found a new place of excitement or glory for our sad little town.

No comments:

Post a Comment