Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Critique of a Critic

In the article, “In Indianapolis, the World Comes to Eat,” I really loved the way that the contrast between culturally sophisticated foods and simple chain restaurants and stores was used. The thought of many sophisticated cuisines being housed by a strip mall also caught my attention, and right or wrong, kept me amused. I think what is going on is fantastic though. It shows that we are becoming more widely accepting and adventurous. This is truly exciting news!

Mark Bittman’s piece about McDonald’s and their oatmeal strangely hit home for me. Surprisingly enough, several years ago now I did learn one thing about the food industries dirty secrets. For some time, I made it part of my Mickey D’s routine to order a fruit and yogurt parfait with my McChicken and medium fries, thinking I was making at least one healthy choice in my fattening meal. Wrong. I found out later that the parfait’s are about as fattening and artificial as the next thing on the menu. I could have been enjoying a hot fudge sunday for half the price and with the same or similar calorie count! I appreciate people pointing out these secrets. One of my favorite sources if the “Eat this, Not that” books... I guess I’m trying to say that I love a good scandal as well. Thanks Mark!

I could easily relate to Sifton’s “Maximal Flavor for Minimal Cash.” The entire time I was reading, I was thinking back to my mom, sister, and my recent trip to NYC. We are a middle class family who had to stay about an hour outside of the city to afford just three days, so hearing about how to experience my favorite city in the world (thus far) for less was exciting. The way in which Sifton was honest about pricing and had great suggestions for a budget was refreshing. While he threw in some humor, he made it real to a couple who had little to spend. 

The article also made me a bit sad in that I’ve never heard of any of the places he was talking about. I feel like I did when writing my memoir, naive and a small-town girl. I want to go and experience these fabulous places which he speaks of. While my mom put so much time into planning the trip and our meals, still we seem to have missed out on some of the best places to eat in New York! .. Guess I’ll just have to visit again soon :)

AH! I loved the line, “..persistent to heat that is closer to blankets than fire,”  in Sifton’s “The Cheat: A Winter’s Tail.” What a way he has with descriptions! All of his works were delightful to read due to this consistent theme of out of the ordinary description. While he was talking about the food transporting us, I felt as if he were transporting us. This is what I assume he meant to do, and a great critic would do. Honest and heartfelt, and again with the theme, it takes a good eater to know their stuff!

1 comment:

  1. In the movie "Super Size Me" there was a part on the McDonald's parfaits...they said that a large fruit parfait with granola has more fat, carbohydrates, and calories than a Big Mac. Granted, they don't carry this size of parfait anymore after the movie....hmm.
    These articles made me want to visit NYC so bad too...field trip! Sifton's descriptions were so vivid, and I loved his humor and energy throughout each piece. Made me a little nervous about writing my own review though, he does it with such ease and I hope I'll be able to manage to pull everything together as neatly as he does.

    ReplyDelete